Trade for Sustainable Development Forum 2017
Climate Change, Ecosystems & Natural Resources, Food systems
Sectors of activity
Energy, Food & Beverage, Public Procurement
Type of initiative
Capacity Building & Implementation
Type of lead actor
United Nations / intergovernmental organizations
In today’s world, no one can ‘go it alone’. With a complex sustainability landscape, businesses, NGOs, governments and producers realize that partnering with others is key to achieving sustainability outcomes in global value chains.
ITC’s Trade for Sustainable Programme is built on partnership principles. Whether through its project with the multi-company Sustainable Agriculture Initiative Platform – the web-based Farm Sustainability Assessment platform – or the multi-stakeholder Chocothon initiative, its partnerships create market opportunities and facilitate systemic change. The public sector is also engaging in new partnerships, such as through sustainable public procurement or consumer information programmes.
Shared understanding of partnership models can promote approaches that really work. Neutral brokers enhance transparency, or facilitate action where collaboration is not always easy.
PROGRAMME AT A GLANCE
1. Monday, 25 September, ITC headquarters – Discuss partnership models
- Interactive panels: Discuss partnership models from the viewpoint of standards organizations, business and policymakers.
- Mini-hackathon on partnerships for sustainable development: Explore innovative solutions to challenges presented in the sessions.
- Evening cocktail: A time to exchange business cards and follow up on the day.
2. Tuesday, 26 September, ITC headquarters – Joint Partners Day
- Partners Day, with the German Development Institute (D.I.E.) and the UN Environment: Interactive sessions with D.I.E.’s Managing Global Governance Network and UN Environment’s 10-Year Framework of Programmes on sustainable consumption and production
- ITC Sustainability Map platform
- New research on sustainability standards, with the European University Institute: Interactive presentation of a new report.
- UN Environment – 10-Year Framework of Programmes: Bringing Consumer Information and Sustainable Food Systems together
3. Wednesday, 27 September, WTO Public Forum – High-level panel
Impact and Results
The Trade for Sustainable Development Forum brings together business people, researchers, standards organizations and international trade officials to discuss trends in sustainable value chains and voluntary sustainability standards.
Organized by the International Trade Centre (ITC), this year’s event explores the theme of partnerships:
- Why are some models more successful in achieving sustainability objectives?
- What are common elements of success when standards organizations, policy makers and private companies work well together?
- What can we expect from successful collaboration?
- What issues should we consider when engaging in new partnerships?
Next steps and how to get involved
Please register for this event here:
For more information, please contact: