SCP in Latin America and the Caribbean
Implementing Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) patterns is a priority for the LAC region, and this has been reiterated several times in the political arena.
The Regional Forum of Ministers of Environment has reiterated the commitment of the region to support the implementation of the Ten-Year Framework Programmes on Sustainable Consumption and Production (10YFP) and to maintain an active role in its promotion.
The region has furthermore taken a leadership role, implementing National SCP Policies in Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba and Mexico, to name a few.
Sustainable Development Goal 12 on SCP is seen by the region “as a cornerstone”, because “the current development model discards goods, resources and even the human being. Therefore, the change should be based on principles of ethics, sustainability and social inclusion” - Sergio Bergman, Ministry of Environment Argentina at the XX Meeting of the Forum of Ministers of Environment of LAC.
Strategies and Roadmaps
The LAC region has had a Regional Strategy on SCP since 2003. It was reviewed and updated through a broad participatory consultation in 2015, aligning it to the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda. The SCP Regional Strategy includes nine priorities, endorsed by the Ministers of Environment of the region.
The regional SCP priorities are:
- National SCP Policies, programmes and strategies;
- Sustainable public procurement;
- Sustainable lifestyles and education;
- Consumer information;
- Sustainable tourism, including ecotourism;
- Sustainable buildings and construction;
- Sustainable food systems;
- Small and Medium Enterprises (SME); and
- Integrated waste management.
The strategy has a two-year Roadmap that is updated periodically. Both documents can be found at the following link:
National Action Plan on SCP Honduras: supported by the United Nations Development Account (UNDA), since June 2016 UN Environment is working with the National Council on Sustainable Development (CONADES) to develop the SCP National Action Plan.
Sustainable Public Procurement and Eco-labeling (SPPEL) Project: at the regional level, in 2015 the project starts in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Paraguay and Uruguay. The project focuses on the development of sustainability voluntary criteria in two pilot categories selected by the participant countries. More information here
Eco-innovation project: in partnership with the European Commission, UN Environment is promoting resource efficiency and innovation, and the project currently takes place in eight countries. More information here
Integrated waste management in Colombia: supported by the United Nations Development Account (UNDA), UN Environment and the “Academia de Innovación para la Sostenibilidad” will launch a demonstration project about the integrated management of prepared meals and dishes sub-sectors in Bogota, mainly focused on food waste. This project is expected to be completed in August 2017.
- 10YFP Side event at the COP 13 of the Convention on Biological Diversity (Mexico; 13 December 2016)
- 10YFP South-South Cooperation Meeting (Brazil; 6-7 April 2017)
- Meeting of the Executive Committee on SCP (Brazil, date to be confirmed)
Timeline of past events in the LAC region
- Side event at Urban Library in Habitat III “Better Cities, Better Lifestyles”; 18 October 2016, Quito, Ecuador. More information here
- Regional expert meeting on indicators of SCP in the framework of the Initiative of Latin America and the Caribbean for Sustainable Development (ILAC) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs); 2 - 3 August 2016; Panama City. More information here
- World Resources Forum Latin America and the Caribbean and the International Sustainable Building Congress 2016: Building cities and sustainable lifestyles in Latin America and the Caribbean; 17-20 May 2016; San Jose, Costa Rica.
- National Roundtables on SCP in Cuba, Ecuador and Costa Rica (September to november 2015). More information here.
- Eighth Meeting of the Regional Council of Government Experts on Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) (4-5 May 2015, in Panama City, Panama). More information: Draft agenda; Presentations, background documents and photographs and Recommendations from the LAC region to the 10YFP Board and international workshop (available in Spanish and English).
- Meeting of the Executive Committee on SCP (13-15 October, Santiago de Chile, Chile). More information here.
- XIX Meeting of the Forum of Ministers of Environment for LAC (15 March 2014, Los Cabos, Mexico). More information here.
To have a more complete look at the different activities happening around the region, check out the
Global database of SCP Initiatives