SCP in the Middle East
The Arab Region developed in 2009 its Regional Strategy on SCP, which was approved by the Council of Arab Ministers Responsible for the Environment.
The strategy was endorsed by the League of Arab States, the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia and UN Environment.
This strategy encourages the use of products and services that ensure environmental protection; conserve water and energy as well as other natural resources, while contributing to poverty eradication and sustainable lifestyles.
Strategies and Roadmaps
The Arab Regional Strategy for SCP is an initiative that encourages the use of products and services that ensure environmental protection; conserve water and energy as well as other natural resources, while contributing to poverty eradication and sustainable lifestyles.
Regional Cooperation Platforms
The first Roundtable Meeting of Experts on Sustainable Consumption and Production (SCP) in the Arab Region had main outcomes listed below:
- Regional SCP priorities were identified: energy, water, waste, rural development & poverty alleviation, and education and sustainable lifestyles
- The region agreed to develop a 'SCP Action Plan' based on the outcomes of the meeting and under the institutional umbrella of the Arab Sustainable Development Strategy and other existing declarations
- Cooperation was built with the Marrakech Task Forces on Sustainable Public Procurement and on Sustainable Lifestyles. A workshop on YouthXChange was held successfully
- The region called for the establishment of a regional network on National Cleaner Production Centres (NCPCs), to be organized in close cooperation with UNIDO
- The UAE announced their interest to establish a NCPC.
To have a more complete look at the different activities happening around the region, check out the
Global database of SCP Initiatives